Monday, November 10, 2008

Loyalty...or business...

The world of sports is entertainment for us who are fans...and big business for those who are in it.

I've expressed in this blog that my love for all of the Los Angeles teams continues, even though I consider myself a San Diegan.  But, it's hard for locals to not be passionate about all the sports here in America's Finest City.

Which is what makes the news that the Padres are about to dump salaries and rebuild so disappointing.  The news that Trevor Hoffman has probably played his last game here is particularly sad.  I understand that roster moves need to be made to improve the team, even if it involves the best players.  And while contract decisions in sports are a two way street, someone like Trevor deserves special considerations and flexibilities.  He should be given the chance to end his career in San Diego.

But I guess that business is a higher priority than loyalty.

No comments: