Monday, November 10, 2008

Youth Ministry 3.0

My friend in ministry Marko wrote a book called Youth Ministry 3.0.  It is, as it says on the cover, a manifesto of where youth ministry needs to go.

I received my copy on Friday, but was very anxious to read it.  In fact, I brought it to Magic Mountain on Saturday just to have it with me.

So this morning, in my desire and need to rest, I started going through it.  Now, it's not a long book, but I normally do not have the patience/attention to sit and read anything for extended periods of time.  Yet, this was a "can't-put-it-down" situation.

This is a book I will be reading and re-reading and processing and studying and interpreting for a long time.  But, my initial reaction is peace.  Peace that my current personal and ministry/career discernment - and the reactions both positive and negative to both - is the right and necessary cross for me to bear now.  That this cross will lead to death - death of pride and selfishness - and, more importantly, a glorious new life of humility, service and love.

This cross has been, and will continue to be hard for me to bear.  Yet, after reading this, my consolation is that my suffering is pointed in the right place: to my own conversion as a son of Christ.

Now, only if my Jesus-centered hopes will birth the patience necessary incarnate change at the service of the Church...

1 comment:

katherina said...

Ministry is a profound journey. I enjoyed walking through it. But I decided to step down this year to pursue a dream nearer to my heart. Writing. :) Hopefully it becomes as much of a ministry to me as being in a youth group did.