Tuesday, September 16, 2008

What a way to start a morning

My mind has been racing this morning.  I FINALLY have an idea for what I want to do with the youth ministry video that I need to present to the parish in a week and a half.  But it brought up all of the things I have to do between now and then.  This caused me much anxiety!!!!!!

So, this was my state of mind as I walked into church for daily Mass.  I was fighting the battle of praying and planning the whole time.  Then, as Fr. Leo finished his homily, he did something out of the ordinary.  He invited this couple to the front of the altar.

It turns out that this couple is celebrating their 65th wedding anniversary today.

And it was at that moment that God smacked me in the head with perspective.  

Our life here on earth is naturally ordered to love.  And when we are obedient to the love that is written into our hearts by our Creator and Father, commitment is not only possible, but preferred.  And the only kind of authentic commitment that exists is the one that involves relationship between God and His beloved, you and me.

The relationship we have with God leads us to love others like Him and through Him.  It leads us to sacrifice all for the sake of this divine love, as a couple married for 65 years or as a saint willing to suffer martyrdom for Him who loved us first.

So, Regina and James, God bless you on this beautiful day as you renew your love for one another in holy marriage.  And thank you for reminding me that a producing a video will not complete my life.  Only love can.

No comments: