Monday, July 28, 2008

"Impatience makes doubtful all certainty"

I'm as guilty as anyone of being consumed by the instant-ness of our society.  Even with things that are authentically good and holy.

As I reflected on this past weekend of being at the Steubenville conference, I decided that I want God's grace to work RIGHT NOW to make my life better, more pleasing to Him.

Then, as I was driving back from Mass this morning, this beautiful statement...no, prayer...from St. Theresa of Avila came into my heart: 

Hope, O my soul, hope. You know neither the day nor the hour. Watch carefully, for everything passes quickly, even though your impatience makes doubtful what is certain, and turns a very short time into a long one. Dream that the more you struggle, the more you prove the love that you bear your God, and the more you will rejoice one day with your Beloved, in a happiness and rapture that can never end.

I paraphrased these words and used them in my song God of Hope.  And when I wrote the words, I really didn't realize just how deep and meaningful they are.

Because the bottom line is that God's will is always done no matter what.  He promised that.  And if we believe His promise, then we need to be more patient.  Not just more patient while waiting in line to check out at the grocery, but more patient that good will come out of all of the hard, life choices we have to make every day.

And his grace is enough to make us more patient...and trusting.

I need more patience in getting ready for my trip to the Dominican Republic.  I leave tomorrow night for something I've never done, in a land I've never been to.  I'm nervous and excited.  I want to go really bad and want to stay home at the same time.  But I know that God wants me to be there.  He is desiring me to be a better servant.  And I will trust that this will be the place that I learn that.

No comments: